Photobucket

Saturday, August 7, 2010

First Gold League Game - Zerg Verses Terran

Let me preface this article by saying I just bought Joanas Starcraft 2 strategy guide and I decided to employ just the basic section of her guide in my first game.

The basic section just goes over some points for economy and some goals of the game that beginner players wouldn't know.

So I just started this game, and I'm verses a Terran player who is favored. I'm nervous because not only is he favored, but he is Terran my weakest matchup as Zerg (I love to rush and Terran are rush proof).

So we got the fight going and I mean this guy was tough, I managed to sneak in some Zerglings fairly early on. Let me note I was trying a new Zergling build I read in Joana's guide, she specifically says this build is weak verses Terran but since it was the only one I've read...

So I get these Zerglings in, but they only take out about two Marines and two SCVs before getting crushed. My backup Zerglings ran into a Supply Depot so I backed out.

Now normally I would go for Roaches, but following Joana's strategy I expanded and strengthened my economy. I also followed a really cool Zerg tip she gave me with placement of my Overlords which meant I knew everything my opponent was doing.

So my economy was booming and I was upgrading like crazy and building Hydralisks. He runs in with some early Banshees but luckily he didn't have cloak and I was able to fend them off with my Queens.

He then comes in with a Marine rush, but due to another tip I read in Joana's Guide I had enough Zerglings and Spine Crawlers (which I moved) to completely shut the attack down.

Now I just sat back with my superior economy, expanded all over the place, and hit close to 200 food with Hydralisks.

The opponent comes in with more Banshees but thanks to my Overlord placements I saw them coming and obliterated them with Hydralisks and detection.

The final fight occurred at his expansion, and even though he had superior positioning my superior troop count (upgraded by the way) overwhelmed him.

A very nice win which netted me a bunch of points because he was favored, moving my way up the Gold ladder.

So far I'm very impressed with Joana's guide. The tips are incredibly powerful and hit home with me right away. I feel like a whole new player. Not only that but the layout of the guide meant I got the tips that helped me the most right away! I can't wait to get into my next game.

I'm going to add a link here to Joana's guide, I suggest you check it out. Tremendous value for your money!

No comments:

Post a Comment